False panels for the kitchen are used when you need to hide some area in the decoration, for example, corrugations of the air duct or the base of the headset. Let's see what materials and designs are suitable for kitchen false panels, we will clarify installation issues and prices.
When false panels are needed
A false kitchen panel can:
- Replace the kitchen apron;
- Close the corrugation of the hood;
- Hide unnecessary niches or communications;
- To decorate furniture legs;
- Remove the gap between furniture cabinets and wall;
- Cover the niche or the distance between the cabinets;
- To help create a decorative lighting system;
- Visually align the surface.
Below are photo examples of the use of false panels in the kitchen.
So, the main task of the false panels is disguise. But thanks to him, the walls in the kitchen can turn into an accent detail of the interior, because many false panels are decorated using photo printing technology. This means that the front side of the material can be decorated not only with tile imitation, but also with the view of New York at night or a waterfall sparkling with spray.
Materials for bezel panels
False panels for the kitchen are special decoration plates decorated on one side. For their manufacture use the following materials.
Eco-friendly, beautiful, durable material, which is also subject to restoration. True in the kitchen, it is not very practical, as it is afraid of changes in temperature and humidity, sharp objects and frequent cleaning. Most often for the decoration of the apron and the basement panels are used of veneered MDF with a wax coating.
MDF, laminated chipboard
They are easy to install and have a high decorative effect; they can imitate any textures or have photo printing. The durability of such structures depends on the strength of the protective top layer. The most reliable options - varnished or acrylic coating.
Practical, fireproof, allow you to experiment with lighting, not destroyed by moisture. Glass panels are made of acrylic, silicate, polycarbonate, tempered glass and triplex.
- To finish the apron most suitable panels of glass "triplex" and tempered glass. Since they are absolutely safe, even when broken, they are durable and are not afraid of heat (including from a gas stove).
Glass can be decorated with photo printing or sandblasted patterns.
In the photo below you can see an example of the masking of corrugations with an illuminated glass panel.
The process of installing the apron with your hands can be seen in the next video.
The most affordable, practical, moisture-proof, easy-care panels, they can be easily mounted with your own hands and cut into small parts. Plastic imitates any material, such as stone, brickwork or tile "pig", but still not reliable.
By the way, in Ikea, you can buy plastic Fastbus panels for tiles on one side and with a plain surface on the other. This means that you can easily change the design of the apron on the mood. Fix to the wall wall panels from Ikea need using special profiles.
Metal panels are most often made of stainless steel. For a kitchen apron is better to use matte surfaces - they are not so visible stains from the water. Often, metal panels trim only the area behind the stove.
It can imitate the texture of a cut of marble, granite and even ornamental stones, and it can be a rough cleaved raw natural material. Great for finishing aprons to match the worktop.
Design selection rules
Depending on your destination or your wishes, false panels can play the role of an accent in the interior or, conversely, not attract attention by copying neighboring surfaces.
- As an accent decor, use panels with photo printing, monophonic, but bright colors or panels imitating exotic woods, for example, zebrano.
- To make a false panel neutral, it must be selected to match the adjacent surfaces, such as worktops, kitchen facades, or walls. Otherwise, you can choose versatile shades and textures - “under the tree”, white, metallic silver, as well as frosted or clear glass.
Also take into account the following tips:
- On dark surfaces, dust and streaks are more noticeable than on light or variegated.
- Motley and bright wall panels, for example, with a photo printing, it is desirable to use under the condition of a laconic interior.
- If your small kitchen, then for finishing the working area you should choose panels of light shades. They will not reduce the space and will reflect the light.
Basic installation methods
False panels in the kitchen can be fixed both permanently and with the expectation of periodic shifts, disassembly or opening-closing.
- Stationary mount
Fix the panel can be on screws, silicone or glue. Mounting on the screws allows you to securely fix the panel in the right place and if necessary, dismantle it. Mounts are decorated with round caps. Installation with glue or silicone is possible if the wall is flat.
- Not fixed mount
This method is good when you close communications, for example, corrugation or pipes, so that they always have access. In this case, the material can be fixed on the magnets, which allows you to easily remove it if necessary. Another way is to mount using profiles into which the bezel is inserted. A “wall” is assembled on the principle of a tongue and groove of blocks, or one integral module is used. Then this wall “rolls in” between the slats, and all arising joints are closed with corners or decorative plates.
Of course, before you attach the material, you need to prepare a wall: it may not be perfectly flat, but, nevertheless, without major defects and differences. It is enough to plaster the base, wait for it to dry, and then proceed to the next step.
More information about mounting wall plastic and MDF-panels can be found in the following video.
- Plastic panels in the decoration of the kitchen apron and walls
- How to choose an apron for the kitchen - Help for the buyer
- How to choose a tile for the apron: 12 nuances and an overview of popular formats
- Plastic apron - information for customers
- All about glass aprons for the kitchen - from skins to Plexiglas
- MDF wall panels in the apron and kitchen walls