Dish dryer is an assistant that is needed in the kitchen every day. It not only helps the dishes to dry before being stored in the cupboard, but also allows you to store plates and essential cups for quick access. And drying dishes can be a decoration of the kitchen. In this article we will talk about what kinds you can find in stores, as well as what to look for when buying.
The main types of dryers: we evaluate the design, design, appearance, materials
Models of kitchen dryers for dishes are divided by the method of installation:
- Installed at the sink. These are stainless steel or plastic tumbler dryers that are attached to the sink. Such products are simple and light, they do not create a design load on the kitchen and hold a small number of plates. Since such drying is always at hand, it is also convenient to put washed vegetables on it. In the shops you can find troflexes in the form of nets, gratings or perforated boards.
Tip: in some online stores (for example, at Aliexpress) you can find a dryer consisting of metal or silicone rods and folding into a roll (pictured below). You can put on it not only washed, but also hot dishes.
- Built into the modules of the kitchen set. Mounted in floor cabinets, drawers or kitchen cabinets, including in the corner. The simplest models have two tiers for mugs and plates, more complex designs include a variety of compartments, for example, for glasses. Closed facades protect clean utensils from dust, and since the recessed dryers have trays, they can be used to fold the dishes straight out of the sink. True, this is not very convenient and is not so “useful” for the cabinet frame - too much moisture is created in it. Therefore, the main dryer in the closet and should be complemented by the auxiliary, standing near the sink.
Tip: Keep in mind that not every dryer has a tray for the second tier. Look for exactly the model in which it will be.
- Board Installed near the sink, for example, on the wing or tabletop. Desktop models are foldable and stationary, one-, two- or three-tier, with compartments for cutlery and without them. Since desktop dryers for dishes are always in sight, they should be chosen according to the style and color scheme of the kitchen interior.
Tip: If there is no wall cabinet above the sink or if it is located by the window, then the dryer should be fitted with a lid that will protect the dishes from dust. We found this model on the Alibaba website (pictured below).
- Hinged. They are fixed in the right place on the wall, on the railing or inside the kitchen unit. They are selected so that the dimensions correspond to the available free space.
A large selection of wall mounted rack dryers for plates, mugs and cutlery can be found in Ikea.
Dish driers of any type can be single-tier, in 2 levels or specialized, with additional compartments. Single-level ones are suitable only for plates, and stacked ones allow disposing of both cups and other utensils.
Kitchen dryers: materials
After washing, there is always plenty of water on the plates. Therefore, the materials from which the dryer is made should be as moisture-resistant as possible. Most often, kitchen dryers for dishes do:
- Metal: made of steel with chrome or enamelled coating that protects the metal from damage and corrosion.
- Stainless: This option is more expensive, but more durable and does not require additional maintenance.
- Plastic: very bright and showy, but not too strong and durable. Most of the plastic make desktop dryers, designed for a small amount of dishes or only pallets.
- Wooden: Wood is covered with a special water-repellent compound, but still its resistance to water does not remain at the highest level. However, for cozy provencal, country or eco-cuisine such a dryer would be the best option.
The pallet, which is most in contact with moisture, is most often made of stainless or plastic: these materials are hygienic and respond well to cleaning.
Estimate dimensions and other selection criteria.
Most dryers for plates have standard sizes. You can choose a model of 40 cm, 50 cm, 60 cm, 70 cm or 80 cm. Of course, the smaller the dryer, the less it will fit plates. So, in a dryer with a size of 40 cm, no more than 12 plates will fit, and in a model of 60 cm - about 18 pcs.
- Embedded drying is most often chosen to be 60 cm wide, since the depth of the kitchen modules is just about 60 cm. However, for desktop models this size will be optimal.
- If you prefer a multi-level structure, then make sure that there is more than 30 cm between the shelf for plates and cups, so that there is enough space on the lower tier for storing high-quality dishes.
Keep in mind that the pallet must be removable or retractable. Models over 60 cm long are sometimes made with several pallets that are easy to remove and wash.
Do not forget that practical built-in dryers can be used both in wall-mounted cabinets above the sink, and in pull-out drawers. But it is impossible to overload the structure in any case, regardless of its location.
If not the dryer, then the mat!
Instead of a bulky table-top dryer, you can use a compact mat to dry dishes. Its dimensions can be either 30 × 40 cm or 50 × 60 cm.
It is very convenient to use the rug for drying dishes: spread out near the sink, put the dishes after washing, wait for it to drain, and put it on the shelf.
There are two types of such rugs:
- Products made of rubber, plastic or silicone, with a ribbed or embossed surface. In this case, the water flowing from the plates after washing remains in the grooves. Then it is enough to drain the water and dry the mat.
- Microfiber cloth mats that absorb moisture. Absorbent mat provides excellent protection for the table top. By the way, microfiber is very practical: it is soft and light, perfectly washable and durable.
How much does a kitchen dryer cost? It all depends on your chosen model. If you like a bright microfiber mat, then it can be purchased for 240-350 rubles. Silicone mats are a bit more expensive - up to 500 rubles.
But the dryer can cost 3000-5000 p. We will deal with prices in more detail. For example, one of the budget options is a single-level dryer 60 cm, built-in cabinet. It costs 850 rubles and is made of enameled aluminum. The same option of stainless steel will cost 2300-2400 rubles per level. The cost of a two-tier design with side segments for the top cabinet is about 3,800 rubles. Approximately the same are the corner and chrome-plated dryers for dishes.
Desktop models of plastic or painted metal will cost 1000 rubles and more.Here a lot depends on the stability and spaciousness of the structure. The design also plays a role: if the dryer is decorated with additional design elements, overlays, then its cost increases by 40-65%.
Now you can definitely choose a suitable dryer for your kitchen!
- Which cutting board is better?
- Guide to the choice of a universal knife and "kitchen trio"
- Guide to choosing a good universal pan
- Choosing dishes for glass-ceramic plates (standard and induction)
- The choice of pans for universal use: a comparison of 7 types, 6 tips and 1 video
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 8 simple ways for difficult cases
- How to sharpen a kitchen knife - 7 steps for beginners
- How to clean stainless steel spoons and forks - 12 ways